IrrRPG Builder

Welcome to IrrRPG Builder Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Welcome to the forum. In order to make your stay as pleasant and constructive as possible please take your time to read through this document, it will help you navigate the pits and traps this community has created for new members ;) These rules can be changed without notice though normally we announce changes via announcement in all the forums.

1) Do not spam. No blatant advertising.

2) No warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content! Links to content of a questionable nature (e.g. anything you don't own and/or have downloaded), asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated.

3) Multiple registrations are prohibited and are grounds for immediate account deletion.

4) The official language is English. English is the only allowed language.

Post subject: Looking for developers!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:36 pm 
Developer
Developer

Hi,

I'm currently too busy (on another project) and can't continue working on IRB for the moment. The same for Andres...

If there is someone who would be interested to continue adding features and improve IRB please contact us.

There are some constraints with this project:

- Must use Irrlicht
- No patches to Irrlicht (at least in the last resort, but the patch should be submitted to the Irrlicht team, like if you have iimplemented instancing / Fixed transparency issues, etc)
- All addons must be external (other libs for examples), and included in the project.
- Should be build able on Windows and Linux.

Suggestions of possible stuff that could be done:
- Using CMAKE to create the project (So will need Irrlicht sources)
- Creating a DEPOT on GITHUB, but still have downloads from sourceforge. I think it would be better to develop and share using GITHUB than the current SVN method.
- Having LUA/Irrlicht compile with the project instead of having them already compiled.

Features in areas that could be interesting to work on in the project:
- Projectiles. Started but currently limited to the visible part. Collisions are not working correctly ATM
- Implementing FX`s that we could recall as a definitions in a LUA script
ex: "playFX("explosion.fx",0,0,0)". Later on, a FX editor would be great. There is currently no FX subsystem implemented.
- Navigation. IRB is using raycast to navigate. It's ok for levels that would be outside, but "interiors" would make NPC`s be blocked by the walls.
- Having loading made in a buffer instead of "on the fly" like it's done now. The current method could provoke memory leaks. And it's not the best.
- A model editor, that could be created, to define the assets in the library and write the XML that we have to do by hand now.
- Copy the assets from the library to the current active project. It would need a manager to manage the assets in the project so we use only what is needed. Will facilitate a lot the distribution of projects.

Post subject: Re: Looking for developers!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:03 am 
User

Hi, I'm not that good a c++ still learning, but I would really like to try to help update it. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:07 pm 
Developer
Developer

Hi, you can try. Look at the current source code and create a new branch (could be a SVN or preferably on GITHUB). But with basic knowledge this will be very hard...

There is a new port of Irrlicht using CMAKE on GITHUB here: https://github.com/zaki/irrlicht
If I would have more time to work on IRB, I would have liked try to use this version of Irrlicht instead and port the IRB components using CMAKE. CMAKE will allow to prepare solution for a lot of IDE, and you do not have to maintain lots of projects. Was not too bad on IRB, we had only to maintain 1 solution on Windows and another on Linux. All changes were done on Windows then ported to Linux.

Using CMAKE make it easier, as you do everything on each platform and only need to use CMAKE on the others to test. The only "bad" side is that you must provide all sources for everything if you want to have CMAKE doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:38 pm 
User

ok thanks this will be a learning experience for me so ya I will give it a go. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 pm 
User

Hi, I'm a noob in c++ but i can deal with lua. I'm thinking that could be good an add-on system like in Blender. You can release a port of an api* to acces to the irrrpg ui and other low level functions. That make able to all we that have no experience with c++ to contribute with the develop of the program.

Take the Blender Game Engine for example. It is complemented with the Blender api for add-ons (with python) and have many projects like a node-based logic, a particle system, an embded 2d engine based on libgdx...

As i see it (with my less knowledge), it will not be a hard work to do and will be helpful to the real c++ programmers to get focused on upgrade irrlicht.

p/d: So... thats all, english is my second language so i could committed many mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:41 pm 
Developer
Developer

Hi,

Quote:
it will not be a hard work to do

This is HARD WORK. Require to wrap all the Irrlicht functions, and the low level function in IRB to LUA. LUA is a scripting language and must be compiled on the fly. It's not that fast.
Currently LUA is not used in the main loop but only when the game start. So you would need to create a editor side support for LUA since you're talking of also adding features to the editor.

The focus of using LUA in IRB is to be used only on small, quick operation, and triggers based on events, so it hopefully it remain fast as the rest is in C++. Never to be used in the main render loop. What you would like to do, is make it all run from LUA, if somebody want to do it, I hope they know how to optimize applications because it will require it (probably will also need to switch to LUAJit)

There is this project that give you access to all Irrlicht functions from LUA if you want to see how it's working:
http://irrlua.sourceforge.net/

As other alternatives, there is the LEADWERKS project (http://www.leadwerks.com/) That allow you to do a lot of things from LUA (Much more than IRB)

NOTE: LIBGDX uses OPENGL ES, and can do 3D too, it's not limited to 2D only.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 pm 
User

christianclavet wrote:
Hi,

If you say that it is hard work, ok. But:

-Lua is a powerfull lang. special because it is fast, as you see:
http://blog.carlesmateo.com/2014/10/13/ ... languages/ (old test, but good).
-The Bdx engine (libgdx based) was thinked to be 2d.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 pm 
User

Hello I am PeteyM5

I was involved making a 3D RPG Builder in Visual Basic 6 and Truevision 3D Engine. I am in the process of porting it over to using Irrlicht Lime and VB.NET.
I know it can be translated to C#.

One thing I did that I had not seen done with other RPG Makers/Builders is have an extensive Data Base control and editing for things in the RPG. Like Characters. Items, Spells, Documents, Quests, Zone Triggers, etc. The Data is entered/edited with a Table Editor similar to a spread sheet. There is a "Type Field" in most of the tables that tell the computer what it is. Like if an item is Food, Weapon, Armor, Key, etc.

The reason why I want to dump the Truevision 3D engine is that the people who wrote it seem to had abandoned updating the 3D Middleware about 7 years ago. They had not updating their engine beyond DirectX 8. Their forum is still up. Plus their licensing fee is a bit high and they do not accept PayPal. So there are issues to continue using their engine.

I could compile portions of it into .DLL files some other programs can access the Data. Now does can this engine work with .NET frame work or is it only C++?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 pm 
Developer
Developer

Hi, Peteym5.

It's all written in C++ and use the Irrlicht c++ version. You would need to get Irrlicht Lime (version that is working in C#) and try to convert from the current code.